Reading Angela Duckworth's Grit


I vaguely learned about Grit in my very brief career as a teacher (2017-2018). In the school where I used to teach, it had a very unique culture where every teaching staff (at least in the English department) took turn to do a microteaching in the first 10 minutes of our department's weekly meeting. In a way, the microteaching was an opening to the meeting (the main star). To avoid making any mundaneness, everyone was free to pick any topic and it doesn't have to link to our teaching material.

 

One particular week, it was our department manager's turn to do the microteaching. What she brought us in her microteaching was Duckworth's Grit. I was completely hooked by the concept of Grit and determined that I will get a copy of the book and read it. Unfortunately, being a teacher was very handful. I had to teach roughly 20 hours a week. The teaching itself was fun. What I had issue with was making elaborate lesson plans. I found this to be a waste of time. I felt like a simple syllabus is more than sufficient to ensure that you are well guided. My point is, why should teachers spend so much time writing long narratives on things they plan to do in the class, when actually they could use the time to prepare for their classes. Let's face it, lesson plan is not a preparation for the class. Especially in this era of technology, you have to prepare presentations and visuals that will capture students' attention. So, if I had an authority, I would let teachers spend more times preparing on how to make their classes interesting, instead of preparing on how to make lesson plans about them.

 

Anyway, I didn't get to read the book then. Luckily I just finished reading the book last night. I know it took me 2 years, but the book is no less relevant to me now than it was. 

Having finished the book, now I have much more clearer idea on what my department manager aimed to say then. She wanted to say that: yes, teaching is not an easy job; yes, not all students will understand what you teach; and yes, smart students are great, but grit students are greater. I think if I had read this book then, I would have had a better understanding on how to: a, motivate myself and b, to motivate / teach my students. I admit that although I had an amazing one full year teaching experience, I cannot claim that I was a great teacher. After all, I did not have a teaching degree. I did not study "psychology for teachers", which I think is an important knowledge for professional teachers out there. In other words, I might have done "not very teacher like" things during my year teaching experience, but I did it because I did not know better. It was my first time teaching after all. It was my first real job.

 

While this book could have helped me then, it is obviously helping me now. The concept of grit (determination and perseverance) is a key to getting through hardship and possibly achieve greatness.

 

As someone who switches career a lot in the past two years, I find this book to be an answer to all my angst and anxiety. This book helps me understand what's going on deep inside my twisted mind (LOL)

 

Although this book may seem like a self-help book, I think it also tackles a lot of other issues that parents and teachers could benefit from.

 

For An Individual 

 

There is one chapter in the book that makes a clear distinction between three people in the world. One, a person with a job. Two, a person with a career. And three, a person with a calling. The person with a job works only to survive (just like breathing and eating). Meanwhile, the person with a career works to elevate his career (how to get to the top). Finally, the person with a calling works to fulfill a duty that benefits people around him (beyond himself).  

 

I find these three distinctions quite powerful and it gets me question which one does my personality fit with the most.


courtesy of mariliza.com

 


For Parents

 

Being a parent is not an easy task. Most parents don't know what they are doing. But I think what parents can do is read what scientists have studied about parenting and try to experiment with what they suggested.

 

One of the biggest question about parenting is which parenting style is better: strict or easygoing parents? Well, this whole issue is addressed in the book. It turns out that a combination of both are better.



Courtesy of Angela Duckworth's Grit

 

For Teachers

 

People always credit their parents when a person achieves greatness. But not all parents are great, and sometimes the real hero behind a great person is his or her teacher. So, don't underestimate the power of being a teacher. It is so true what they say, teacher is an unsung hero.

 

Of course there are many things addressed in this book. Certain topics might resonate with you more than other topics, but that's why this book is great.

 

I am sure that I will need this book again in the future to remind myself what I could do in a specific time and event. When I become a parent for example. Or, when I feel down and unmotivated for example. Now I know where to turn.

 


0 comments: