The Irrational

Related image
Photo from tukesomalism.com
I have always considered myself to be someone who prioritizes reason over emotion. Little that I know that event in life may
challenge our pre-existing notion of ourselves. And that’s why I have come to accept the reality that as human beings we will
not cease to evolve. If you say that you are a shy or introverted person, an extroverted person, or whatever believe me, you
may be whatever you claim yourself to be right now but it can change if you want it too or if life forces you to do so. What do
I mean by that? Did I just suggest that we should surrender our identity at the expense of life event? No, that was not what I
meant. Our upbringing has made us believe that we are either this. This is the root of the problem. We have been trained to
always put ourselves in a box and hoping that only that box where we belong. The truth of the matter is, we evolve. Either we
initiate the evolution or life event forces us to do so. The choices are either we want to keep up with the demand or we are
left behind. Those who have difficulty to keep up are the ones living behind. 


I was a very active person as a kid. I never had difficulty socializing or being around a large group of people. But today, I
really really value my space. I won’t be comfortable sharing what I would call my cave with other people for a long time. 


I cannot really rationalize this. Even though some of friends really see this coming, I did not notice it before. But as my friend
pointed out that even back when I was in high school I was not really the type of person who would refrain from doing certain
activity just because no one accompanies me. Having lunch, for example, I did not, and still do not, see why I have to be
accompanied. If someone wants to come along, great. If not, It won’t be an issue for me. I guess the term for this is being
comfortable alone. 


Now that I am in my mid 20s, as I am so used to being independent, I seem to be establishing a pattern where I am having
difficulty to share my space with other people. It doesn’t only apply to strangers but also my close friends and family. I am
more than happy to share some time and moment with them, but I don’t think I will be okay if I have to be around them 24/7.
This statement does not apply to my parents, of course. I love them and I am very happy around them. But another problem
occurs, I can’t seem to enjoy being at my hometown for too long. Well I can analyse this situation: a, because there’s too
little thing to do; b, my body seems to react in a bad way to the weather; and c, I am fine with the lack of entertainment
but a good quality of internet service will be great. 


Will I stay in my current state? I doubt. Even this view is bound to changes.


We human beings are so malleable. We are changed by our surroundings, events and as we learn better about life.
And that’s natural. Some changes may cause resistance not only from ourselves but also from people around us. That’s life.
We cannot avoid conflict. What we can do is to handle conflict with grace. It’s easy for me to say that when my only reaction
to conflict has been a silent and an escape. It’s okay, I won’t judge myself. I value process and let that be my process. 

So, should keep saying that we are A or B or C? Or let time, event and life define us?

0 comments: