48 Hours in Kuala Lumpur


Batu Cave, Malaysia

It's such an important moment for me because Kuala Lumpur came as the first city in South-east Asia that I have ever visited. Yes, I was in Europe, I was in Milan, Paris, Amsterdam etc - and yet I have never been to my neighboring countries - Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, the Philippines etc.. 

So finally last Summer I had the opportunity to go back to my hometown, Sumatra Indonesia and I immediately saw this as a good time to visit one, if not two, of Asean cities. Since I am from Sumatra, it is easier for us Sumatranese to come back home via one of Asean cities, KL or Singapore, as oppose to Jakarta. Returning home via Jakarta, not only it will take a longer time but also it will cost much more money. So it seems choosing one of Asean's airports is the ultimate choice. I chose KLIA (Kuala Lumpur International Airport) out of nowhere. I think I chose that one because all of my friends did the same. I could have chosen Changi Airport, but I didn't. Maybe next time.

"I am definitely going to explore Kuala Lumpur," that was the voice that I had in my head. But I chose to reach home first, and explore KL later before returning back to Turkey. So what I did was coming to Kuala Lumpur a little earlier, like two days before my due flight. My flight is due on September the 20th at 02 AM. And I was already in Kuala Lumpur on September the 18th, meaning I had about two days to explore Kuala Lumpur. 

My first impression of Kuala Lumpur was that it's a safe city, at least it's much safer than Jakarta perhaps. And the transportations are much much more better than other Asean capitals. I feel like all the things that backpackers need are accommodated. Backpackers are independent people. They want to explore the city alone, not using the service of tour guides. And if public transports are not provided they end up renting a car plus a driver because they have no idea about driving policy in the country and also the route to get to the destination. So, public transport is a must. It's definitely a parameter to judge either one city is tourist-friendly or not.

Next is the accommodation. Kuala Lumpur offers all kind of accommodation, starting from a cheap one to the expensive one. So, you would not find any difficulties in finding accommodation. I stayed in Step Inn Guest House, and it was fine. I mean, I got what I need. I stayed in a single room with a bed and a fan. The bathrooms are separated from the room. It cost me around 6.5 USD

Since I am an Indonesian, I don't find Malaysian food very foreign. Hence I can easily eat the foods. And the cheapest food normally found in places where local people usually eat. The location of my accommodation was not so far from KL's most well-known Chinatown, Petaling Street, and I found  local vendors quite easily. I ate there with relatively cheap price. Eating nasi lemak costs 1.5 RM. And to give you a clear picture, no matter what you choose next to your rice it won't exceed 10 RM. So, enjoy the heaven of food :)

Places worth-visiting in Kuala Lumpur:

  1. Batu Cave
Site of Hindu temple and shrine. I was unfortunate to be there during its renovation. So, I can't really see the beautiful part of it. None the less, I still can see why people go there. The steps (not sure how many are they… but they are really many). Prepare yourself for a challenging walk up.

  1. Petaling Street (KL's most well-known Chinatown)
If you are a shopping lover, if you like to bargain, and if you like good stuff with good prices - then this place is definitely not to be missed.

  1. Petronas Tower (the twin tower)
I didn't find the tower very attractive. However, I do find something related to it very attractive. It's the KLCC Park, a park that makes KL more beautiful than it already is. And if you want to get a good picture of the twin tower, just come to this place.

  1. Bukit Bintang
It's not really in A-list. But if you happen to have extra budget you can come here and enjoy shopping branded clothes and etc.

These are the places that I happen to have been visiting. But I am sure there are a lot more to see. So, I am definitely going to visit Kuala Lumpur again sometimes :) Visit South-east Asia or Asean countries, as we call it.  

0 comments: