INDEPENDENCE DAY OF INDONESIA




Today we've just finished discussing things that we will do in independence day. We have been discussing it all along, though. Just to make sure that all stuffs go as what we have planned. Monday happens to be the day for celebrating our country's Independence Day. And, we are so ready to enliven that day. Perhaps, that's just celebration for some people. Playing games that he/she has no idea about it at all. Above all, there are many lessons that we can take from all those games. As someone who used to be a boy scout troop I believe all that games teach us or transfer us the energy of fighting, fighting your rights, fighting our country from the tyranny of colonizers, like what our heroes had done during the colonizing era.

I still remember the day when we have to stand, for quite a long time, underneath the burning light of the sun for the 17th August, ceremonial day. I used to be piqued by that ceremonial too. But now I did understand why we have to do that. Why we have to stand, burning our skins that already burnt, to feel the feeling of difficulties that people before us had experienced. "Today's generations are all spoiled," said the commander of ceremony when I was junior. Conscious or not, we are. We are in fact spoiled. All what we do now is playing with our gadgets. As if we cannot live without gadget, without internet. I admit, I'm one of those internet freaks. But I willing to change, I do. At least use that habit for something beneficial.

So how we should commemorate this sacred day? My civics teacher once said "today we don't have to fight in the war like our heroes used to do. We can fight according to our professions. Now you are student, keep fighting to get what you are dreaming and be a modern hero for your country. When you grown up you must help your country, your government, solving the problems. If you are interested in science, invent something that has benefit for masses, for Indonesians. Follow whatever you are interested in and be useful for others."

I guess all that words are clear enough, despite the fact that, to achieve our goals to bring our country to a bright future, we still have many home works to fix. I shouldn’t name one by one. We all know it. What matters now is that we really have to work harder. As an abroad student I have that feeling, the feeling of inferior among other country's student. But then, I soon have the intention to be an agent of Indonesian reformer. I don’t know how to do it. I just have that intention. But I'll find it out. What I really keep in mind is Indonesia has to have a more human infrastructures like the country I'm now living in. If I later had the chance to work in Government then that would be the first thing I do.

For the politics condition of Indonesia now, I just wish all the best. Whoever wins I hope he (they) can represent Indonesia. He can bring Indonesia to a more better conditions, economically, educationally, and capable of competing with other developed countries. This is really boring but I had to say it. We have a really rich natural resources and we have to take the benefit if it. Don’t let other countries colonize us again. Rumor has it, look what happens there in Papua? Okay, you can judge me. I am just saying. But at least I'm willing to do it too. So0n when my education finished, I will start what I have always been thinking of. Be a modern hero for Indonesia!

Dirgahayu Indonesia, Merdeka!


*Tomorrow we will be having a really big celebration. Playing games like we always do during 17th of August: Balap Goni, Tarik Tambang, Balap Kelereng, Makan kerupuk adapted to become Makan Simit, Joget Balon etc. And tonight organizing committees are preparing meals for tomorrow. Anyway, we're going to have BBQ party tomorrow. Wish us luck. Hope nobody's get fainted. 

Buca [Izmir],
Saturday 09:37
Summer August 16, 2014
From the house of Mas Bisma,
I've been living here for about 3 weeks since Eid, or maybe a month.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merdeka itu tidak saat gigi, saat yang lain sedang pesta makan. Merdeka itu...

Salam merdeka bung! hehe