The United Colors of Europe

Photo: taken randomly from google


Before visiting Europe last December I used to think that Europe was a singular society where only one type of people live side by side. But of course my prejudice was immediately proven to be false when I arrived in Malpensa Airport, Milan, the first European city I visited. That time, I admit, I was not sure if my Airplane was even landing to a right place, (are you sure we are landing in Milan not in one of Asian countries?) - because I saw so many Asians working at the airport. Later I discovered that the airport stuffs are mostly from the Philippine.

When I looked back I was not sure what made think of Europe that way. Perhaps media, or even perhaps it was influenced by my study. In my study we often talk about Europe, not in a modern sense but way back to 18th C and 19th C. I can't help but drawing that kind of reality in my mind. But at least now I have a new perspective about Europe. And it also makes me think of how little we talk about our contemporary reality in our conversation or even in the class, and how much we talk about the past.

I can't help but accusing media for the way I think. Recently there was a shocking news about Paris attacks. And one of the issues being discussed in media was about how unfair French government towards the immigrant - especially those who are originated from the former colonies. So I thought if that really was the case perhaps I would see an example of decisive society, not that I would want too. Quite contrary, in the street, on the bus, on the subway I saw people intermingle with each other despite their differences with skin color and cultures.

That got me thinking, where is the clash between the French people and immigrants located? Perhaps to answer this question I need to at least stay in France for a month to observe the real reality of life that happening there. But from what I saw during my 10 days travelling around 3 countries of Europe, there is no one single discrimination took place. But that doesn't mean it does not exist. I just did not catch a sight of them.

Do Europeans, or French people in particular, really hate immigrants? Or it is just food for the news? Even if it was true that the French wanted to live in a singular society, that would never happen. It's like trying to reduce the sweetness of melted sugar in a hot tea - it is impossible. I have never seen in my life a continent with so many diversities - and it is so beautiful. In Europe we can see all sort of people: Asian, European, African, etc. Who wants that beautiful rainbow to disappear?






0 comments: